Quick access to information based on government's structure

Ministry of Health

Frequently Asked Questions - Legal Change of Name

Is it necessary for me to have fingerprints done if I do not have a criminal record?

  • Yes, if you are 18 years of age or older AND are legally changing your name. The RCMP or an RCMP accredited affiliate will take your electronic fingerprints and provide you with a receipt when you pay for the service. Submit the original receipt or a certified copy of it with your completed "Application for Change of Name".

Do you notify my birth province of my new name?

  • If you were born in Canada, we will notify your birth province of your new name.

Will you send me a new birth certificate with my new name?

  • You receive a change of name certificate that shows your previous and new names, as part of your legal change of name application and fee.
  • For a birth certificate with your new name, you need to complete and submit an application form and fee.