Quick access to information based on government's structure

Ministry of Health

Change of Name - Fingerprint Information

In 2002, the Government of British Columbia passed an amendment to the Name Act (R.S.B.C. 1996 c. 328) requiring individuals changing their names to have their fingerprints taken as part of a criminal record check. This ensures that criminal records are updated if a person with a criminal record applies for a change of name.

Effective July 1, 2014, ink fingerprints will no longer be accepted and only electronic fingerprinting will be conducted.

Who needs to have fingerprints taken?

Anyone who is BOTH 18 years of age or older AND changing his or her name. If you are a parent changing your child's name, but are not changing your own name, you do not need to get your fingerprints taken.

Where can I have my electronic fingerprints taken?

  • Most RCMP detachments
  • Vancouver Police
  • Victoria Police
  • Any RCMP-accredited fingerprinting company or its affiliate who submit fingerprints electronically for the purposes of criminal record checks. For a list of accredited companies and information about affiliates, visit :

What do I need to submit with my change of name application to prove that I have had my fingerprints taken electronically?

Fingerprinting officials collect a fee for taking fingerprints in addition to the criminal record check fee of $25, and will provide you with a receipt for your payment. Include the original receipt or a certified copy with your application.

Important Notes

  • You are responsible for paying any fees for the fingerprinting service and the criminal record check directly to the fingerprinting official. DO NOT include it in the change of name fees payable to the Minister of Finance.

Fingerprints are only used for the purpose required by the Name Act and confirmation of the criminal record review is returned to the applicant directly from the RCMP.