Quick access to information based on government's structure

Ministry of Health

Who Is Eligible To Legally Change A Name


  • Applicants must be at least 19 years old and have resided in British Columbia for at least three months immediately before the date of application for change of name.
  • If less than 19 years old and a parent, must have custody of their child.


  • Applications must be accompanied with the required fee in the form of a certified cheque or money order payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment may also be made by credit card. The fee includes one large change of name certificate showing all authorized name changes.
  • For adult (18 years and over) name changes, an additional $25 must be submitted for payment of the Criminal Record Check. This payment will be forwarded by the Vital Statistics Agency for the Criminal Record Check when your Change of Name has been registered.
  • Once you have decided to submit a change of name application, a fingerprint package can be obtained in person at a Vital Statistics or Service BC office. You may also request a fingerprint package from the Vital Statistics Agency, phone 250 952-2681, or e-mail

Documentation Requirements

  • All applications must include the completion of Part 1 (a) and (b) by the applicant. An applicant may be a person changing their own name, or, a parent applying to change their child's name.

  • Applicants must surrender all original Birth Certificates for each person whose name is to be changed if born in Canada. If born elsewhere, certified copies of immigration papers or a permanent resident card is required. A marriage certificate may be required and proof of custody where a parent is applying to change their child's name without the other parent's consent.

  • Original Canadian certificates will be destroyed upon name change registration. You will be required to order new certificates from the province\territory where the event took place.

Consent of Parent and Child

  • The consent portion (page 2 a of the application form) has to be completed by the other parent when a child's name is changing. The spouse's consent is also required when a parent is changing their child's name to that of their spouse. The child's consent is required if the child is 12 years of age or over.

  • Application for waiver of parental consent can be made - see information on waivers.