Quick access to information based on government's structure

Ministry of Health

Genealogical Search of Marriage Records, also known as Affidavit of Eligibility/Freedom to Marry/Marital Status

Marriages performed abroad are done so in accordance with the laws of that country. Some foreign countries require non-residents wishing to marry in their country to provide some form of documentation to confirm that they are in fact eligible to marry.

The requested documentation may be in the form of an affidavit or certificate issued from the province/state where the individual resides, confirming that the individual is not currently married.

While we cannot confirm ones marital status, our agency provides a service wherein BC marriage records from the individuals reported 15th birthday to the date of application are researched to determine if a record is held. The result of our search of records is provided in certificate form and appears to satisfy such requirements.

However, it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that this service is what they require; once completed there is no ability to refund the service fee.

Sample - No Record

Sample - Record

Application for Genealogical Search Of Marital Records form (PDF 229K)

For information on marriage requirements in foreign countries, please contact the appropriate consulate office. You can find a listing of Canadian consulate offices online by clicking here.